Here comes peter cotton tail:)

Here comes peter cotton tail:)

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Butterscotch Birthday cake

It was my husbands 31st birthday over the weekend. This brings out the inner baker in me. The part of me that at one time wished of owning a cupcake shop! So for my Sweet I had to make the sweetest cake that was special and unique to what he likes.  I started with a simple box of white cake mix, followed the directions for the two round cake pans. I would absolutely advise you to you egg whites here- fluffy delish in every bite! 


The best part to me is always the frosting. So I had decided on butterscotch buttercream. The homemade real stuff- no can required! I softened my butter, got out my half and half and powdered sugar. I started with a small pan at the oven 1 cup butterscotch chips and a tbsp. of butter slowly melted over medium heat in the pain * careful not to burn!!! Keep your eyes on it until it is ready!


Poor this lovelyness into a standing mixer along with softened unsalted butter. Then I added a 1/4 c. half & half. Then last but not least added the powdered sugar and adjusted half &half as needed.  Let that set a bit to the side while I make a instant pudding filling (butterscotch of course!) 


Finally I got to put my master piece together!  I use the cake rounds you can buy at Jo-Anns, cover it with foil and sit down my first cooled layer of cake. Cut the top off until it is a even surface.  Added the buttercream all around the edges (this helps from filling overflow!) then added butterscotch pudding to the middle. Then add your second layer, do not cut until even. Ice the cake with a spatula to look like a pro. Pick up icing bags and metal tips at Jo-Anns for truly professional results.


In the end the kiddo-s always enjoy decorating, so it doesn't look exactly professional. Yet, Daddy loves it more and it sure tasted special. It was geared towards one of his favorite flavors!


To end the story: the cake was gone very quick!


I hope you enjoy adding new flavors to your icings and cakes. If you can think of it, there is a way to make it!  Ooh la la! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment